| Cape Charles Lofts | Delivered: Sept. 2015 | 423 Plum Street, Cape Charles, Virgina 23310 |
- Size: 18,067 gsf
- Use: Apartments (17)
- Cost: $2,335,254
- General Contractor: Haase, Inc.
- Architect: Studio Ammons
- Historic Tax Credit: Commonwealth Preservation Group
GENERAL INFORMATION: Cape Charles Lofts are the luxury apartment homes in the redeveloped historic Cape Charles School (circa 1912). Located in beautiful downtown Cape Charles, the Cape Charles Lofts are a few steps away from shops, restaurants, and the beach. The Lofts are also adjacent to the Town public park and tennis courts. The Lofts feature high ceilings, hardwood floors and remarkable natural light. The building features 17 efficiency and one-bedroom apartments (some lofted) and related amenities. The Cape Charles Lofts project is located in the Cape Charles Historic District and enjoyed both federal and state historic investment tax credits.
ARCHITECTURAL FEATURES: The Cape Charles School is a 1912 two-story brick building with minimal Colonial Revival detailing. Originally constructed with eight classrooms and an auditorium, the building was subsequently enlarged twice. In 1918, classrooms and a library were added to the northeast end of the building. A later addition to the northwest end of the building resulted in the current E-shaped form. There are two small lean-to additions to the newest portion of the building which are situated within the western void between the auditorium and northwest end addition. The building was originally clad in brick veneer with alternating stucco bays. The stucco was clad in permastone at a later date. The building rests at the edge of a large public park; it is atypically-situated with its rear (north) and east side abutting the intersection, leaving its facade (south) and west side facing the park.
HISTORY/SIGNIFICANCE: The Cape Charles School is one of very few large-scale public buildings in the Town of Cape Charles. The school retains elements of its original Colonial Revival detailing, masonry exterior and decorative parapet. Furthermore, the building served for decades as a the educational and community center within the Town. Though the building has been somewhat altered with replacement windows and permastone detailing, it continues to convey its historic and character defining features as well as its important relationship to the Town social and educational history.