Reavis Center


NextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnail
1918-photo-jobbersdorm-12-5-2012
barkerjennings-photo2
1919-1921-historic-postcard
barkerjennings-photo1

Address Size Use Cost Delivery Website
TBA 88,648 gsf Mixed-use $14,500,000 (est.) TBA TBA

GENERAL INFORMATION:The Reavis Center is the mixed-use redevelopment of the historic Jobbers Overall Company Dormitory building. Once redeveloped the Reavis Center will have 82 apartments and 25,516 gsf of office, classroom, and amenity space as well as space reserved for neighborhood retail. Once completed, the Reavis Center project will serve as a catalyst for the larger expansion of the local university, giving incoming students the opportunity for high-quality housing. Federal and state historic rehabilitation tax credits will be utilized.

ARCHITECTURAL FEATURES:The Jobbers Overall Company Dormitory was constructed in 1918 and originally known as the Martha Washington Dormitory. The building was designed by Heard & Cardwell, Architects with C. W. Hancock & Sons acting as Contractor. By 1922, the Old Dominion Garment Co. purchased the building and converted it for use as a factory. Renovations were undertaken in 1923, including the installation of two rear elevators. By 1952, an addition was made to the southwest (rear). An elevator was constructed adjacent to the primary building entrance in 1955. The imposing facade extends approximately 300 feet along the main road, and exhibits a monumental projecting central bay which originally extended two feet forward to the street; it was extended further with the introduction of a compatible stair tower in 1923. There are projecting bays on each end of the building; they are three window bays wide. The entire building is 27 bays long, original windows are six-over-six double hung wood sash, complimented by eight-over-eight wood sash on the central projecting bay. There is an elevator tower which was constructed just to the right of the central entrance in 1955. Each of the three projecting bays are accented by glazed terra cotta pilasters. There is a large metal concave cornice which caps the building. The masonry structure has a concrete foundation, parged brick base, and five-course common bond brickwork. The original building retains elements of the dormitory configuration which was augmented with both structural and cosmetic changes to accommodate the more open plan required for the factory. Evidence remains to this day to interpret both historic eras of the building layout. The previous owner, the Barker-Jennings Corporation, constructed several modern warehouse-style additions to the rear; these date to 1970, 1975, and 1985 and are situated on the steep slope that drops away behind the building.

HISTORY/SIGNIFICANCE:The Jobbers Overall Company Dormitory was part of a large development to support the manufacturing efforts of the Jobbers Overall Company and later the Old Dominion Garment Company. The original residential use dictated development of a building which was much more detailed than the rest of the buildings associated with manufacturing in the area. The Georgian Revival style was employed in a design which was intended to relate to multi-family housing of the era. The dormitory is the only known high-density residential facility to house factory employees in the area and therefore, in addition to its architectural significance, the Jobbers Overall Company Dormitory conveys the social history of the facility. For these reasons, the Jobbers Overall Company Dormitory contributes to the Kemper Street Industrial Historic District.

General Contractor Architect Civil Design M/E/P Design Structural Design Historic Tax Credits
TBA Studio Ammons TBA TBA TBA Commonwealth Preservation Group